Calgrants are grants for college students that may be used at any California Community College, UCS, CSUS, private and most career/technical schools.

Available Cal Grants

What Cal Grant is Right for you?

There are several types of Cal Grant awards. Chances are, there's one that's just perfect for you. Each of the Cal Grants listed below are for students pursuing an undergraduate associate's or bachelor's degree or an occupational training program.

If you are a high school senior, a recent high school graduate or you just got your GED, and you meet all the requirements and you apply by the deadline, you are guaranteed to receive a Cal Grant Entitlement award.

Please be advised that any Cal Grant award offer is tentative and subject to the final approval of the State Budget Act.

ABOUT Cal Grants A, B & C

Cal Grant A Entitlement awards can be used for tuition and fees at public and private colleges as well as some private career colleges. At CSU and UC schools, this Cal Grant covers systemwide fees up to $5,472 and $12,240 respectively.

If you are attending any private nonprofit college or a for-profit college accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, it pays up to $9,084 toward tuition and fees. If you are attending most other career colleges, it pays up to $4,000.

Cal Grant B Entitlement awards provides low-income students with a living allowance and assistance with tuition and fees. Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,656 for books and living expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career technical schools. This $547 award is for books, tools and equipment. You may also receive up to an additional $2,462 for tuition at a school other than a California Community College. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a career technical school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

Cal Grant A and B Competitive Awards are for students who aren't eligible for the Entitlement awards. The main difference is that these awards are not guaranteed.

Cal Grant A Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 3.0 GPA who are from low-and middle-income families. These awards help pay tuition and fees at qualifying schools with academic programs that are at least two years in length.

Cal Grant B Competitive Awards are for students with a minimum 2.0 GPA who are from disadvantaged and low-income families. These awards can be used for tuition, fees and access costs at qualifying schools whose programs are at least one year in length. If you get a Cal Grant B Competitive Award it can only be used for access costs in the first year. These costs include living expenses, transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with the second year, you can use your Cal Grant B Competitive Award to help pay tuition and fees at public or private four-year colleges or other qualifying schools.